02 February 2010

Volunteer Perspectives...

Joshua Lerner, H4I Volunteer since 2007

"Getting involved with Hoops 4 Israel is one of the best things I have ever done. I always have liked to get involved in the community but found in my post-university years that it was difficult to find a cause where I could play an active role and make a difference. When you are in school, there are plenty of opportunities to get involved, but as you enter the working world, these opportunities and time for them seem to diminish. I found myself lacking an outlet. Then I heard about Hoops 4 Israel.

There are so many things about Hoops 4 Israel that I love. It is a wonderful mixture of 2 things in life that are very important to me - the State of Israel and the game of basketball. Finding a way to help the former with the latter is ideal. This perfect blend really helps me creatively think of ways to improve the tournament. I also like that I can choose how much of a contribution I can make the tournament. I have found in years past that the more I put in to the organization of the event, the more satisfaction I feel when I realize the success of it.

This is a great opportunity for anyone looking to get involved in the community. Not only will you feel a sense of accomplishment, you will develop and sharpen skills that will help you in whatever other pursuits you may have, all while meeting a dynamic mix of interesting people. The experience has been invaluable to my personal and professional development and I wholeheartedly recommend it."

Em Goodman, H4I Volunteer since 2007

"Hoops 4 Israel uses basketball as a channel for a improving the lives of youth in the Kiryat Moshe, a place that I refer to as the ‘ghetto’ of Israel. It has developed into international outreach program where both men and women compete in a day-long basketball tournament raising sufficient funds to build basketball courts and other sport facilities for the community of Kiryat Moshe.

Hoops 4 Israel’s goal is to transgress the racial boundaries of the Ethiopian Jews living in Kiryat Moshe and integrate them into Israeli society. I have volunteered at the event since it started 3 years ago, and I always find it touching and inspiring to see how Hoops 4 Israel has changed the lives of the youth by motivating them to get involved with their community. It was amazing to actually meet some of the kids of Kiryat Moshe and truly see how these impoverished youth have become inspired themselves and realize that they can grow up to be an important part of society and accomplish their own realistic goals.

It is very easy to get caught up in the trivial day-to-day events in our North American lifestyle and I usually don’t have time to volunteer – I would prefer to just give money. However, onHoops 4 Israel tournament day, it makes you feel really good knowing that you have helped to foster development in Israel and made a difference in peoples lives.

I hope Hoops 4 Israel can grow to other North American cities with large jewish populations because it is truly an amazing way for everyone to get involved and have some fun!"


Carly Baker, H4I Volunteer since 2009

What aspects of the project are most appealing to you:

"I find hoops most appealing because it allows me to participate in a favorite past time of mine, basketball, as well as enabling me to find a way to help others. I find that hoops poses a unique opportunity for young professionals to get involved and help people thousands of miles away. I think hoops is a great cause because it targets a community within Israel that be overlooked by other fundraising or charitable organizations."

How you would like to better contribute to its success down the line:

"I think down the line I can have more success harvesting the girls side of the tournament. Due to outlying circumstances this year, I found it difficult to get girls involved. However in the future I think I will be able to spark interest and bring more girls to the tournament. Obviously as well, once the economy begins to improve I think I could bring in more corporate sponsors."

More volunteer perspectives to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment